Filling out the General Data Sheet in your Excel template, you will be asked to fill out information such as name of reporting entity, domicile of entity, legal form of entity etc. When you fill out this information in your Excel template, it is added to your iXBRL report as "hidden elements", which is in keeping with the ESEF standards. However, this doesn't map the information, which means it won't light up, when you highlight mapped elements.
Mapping Company Information
If you have the company information listed in your annual report, and you want readers to be able to highlight it, you need to follow these directions:
- Start by leaving the following fields in the general data sheet blank:
- Name of reporting entity or other means of identification
- Domicile of entity,
- Legal form of entity,
- Country of incorporation,
- Address of entity's registered office,
- Principal place of business,
- Description of nature of entity's operations and principal activities,
- Name of parent entity,
- Name of ultimate parent of group,
- Explanation of change in name of reporting entity or other means of identification from end of preceding reporting period.
- This will require you to manually fill out certain other fields in the general data sheet, which are usually updated automatically based on the information input in these cells.
- Afterwards open the PDF version of your annual report in a software which lets you edit the file, such as Adobe Acrobat.
- Find the place where you want the company information to be highlighted.
- Now you need to add a link. How you do this depends on your chosen software, but it will often be named "add link", "add weblink" or "add URL". The link you need to add is the hypertag corresponding with the item you have highlighted. If you have highlighted your company name, you should add the hypertag for "Name of reporting entity or other means of identification". You can find a list of all hypertags on a separate sheet in the ESEF Tagging Template.
- Repeat the process for each element you want to map.
- Afterwards you can use the ParsePort XBRL Converter to merge your Excel template along with the hypertagged PDF. This will produce an ESEF package where you can highlight information such as the company name.